Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
Ree Drummond is a genius.
What You'll Need
1 russet potato, scrubbed
1 sweet potato, scrubbed
2 tbsps. salted butter (can use the unsalted)
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 cup chopped yellow squash
1 cup chopped zucchini
1/2 red onion, chopped (whatever onion you have on had works too)
Salt and pepper
4 large eggs
Mix It Up
- Pierce both potatoes a few times, put in the microwave and cook on high until cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes. I would check on these while cooking. I usually start on 4 minutes because a sweet potato doesn't take long to get really soft.
- Carefully remove the skin from the sweet potato. Dice both potatoes and set aside.
- In a medium skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter over medium heat.
- Add the bell peppers, squash, zucchini and onions and cook for a few minutes, let the onion soften up a little bit.
- Add the diced potatoes to the veggies and cook until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- In a separate pan, cook your eggs how you like them. Ree made them sunny side up. I prefer over medium though a scramble is good too; however, your hash will be a little dry. The idea is for the yolk to give it more flavor and moisture. If you are not inclined towards sunny side up or over medium eggs you can always add a bit of salsa to your dish.
- We personally made it the first time with over medium eggs and it was fantastic. If I use salted butter I don't add any salt after the fact but I always add pepper to my eggs.
- And I personally love a little bacon on the side (turkey for me).