Review #: 42
Title: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Author: J.K. Rowling
Why did you get this book?
Must finish the series! Hello
Was the author new to you?
Nope, I’ve read/listened to all the other books in this series.
Would you read something by this author again?
Yes, but who knows if she’ll write something else.
Are you keeping it or passing it on?
Library Book, I’m keeping it. lol
(mine) Harry goes up against Voldemort in an attempt to end the Dark Lord’s reign.
What did you think of the book?
I don’t understand why people didn’t like the book. I thought it was great! Yeah, I do see the clichés and maybe that is why but overall I thought it was good. It wasn’t the best Harry Potter book, but it was good.
Okay now I will go into my major SPOILER review so if you’ve read the book that is just fine, if not I suggest you turn back now because I’m going to give away everything!
- HEDWIG: I can’t believe Harry’s owl died. That was just awful. His always there for him friend a casualty of the war between Voldemort and the rest of the world. Of course, at the same time it wouldn’t have worked to have Hedwig following him around all the time.
- MAD EYE: Mad Eye was another sad loss but I have to say that I’ve never been a big fan so it didn’t upset me that much.
- KREACHER: Okay you wanted to hate this house elf for so many books only to finally love him. He was truly great in this book. I loved the line, “Perhaps just one more, Master Harry, for luck?” in regards to hitting Mundungus with the pot. So lovable. I also loved in the last battle house he came in with other House Elves stating that his Master Harry was the defender of House Elves.
- IN THE CELLAR: It was so horrible when they were in the cellar and they could hear Hermione screaming but Ron couldn’t get to her. And boy is she brave to lie to Bellatrix in the midst of all that torture. Gotta give her credit.
- DOBBY: The poor little house elf. So sweet. So funny. And now a victim of the evil Dark Side. No it isn’t Star War’s and I’m not trying to be funny. Truly this made me sad. I couldn’t believe she killed Dobby. I loved how Harry dressed Dobby (put socks on him) before burying him.
- POTTER WATCH: I loved the names of the people in Potter Watch. Lee Jordan was River as in River
. Remus Lupin was Jordan as in Remus and Romulus . Kingsley was Royal as in a King is Royal. Fred’s was just funny because of the Rodent/Rapier thing but I’m not sure if the Rapier meant anything but I think Rodent was a play on Weasley. Romulus
- TONKS & LUPIN: I can’t believe Tonks and Lupin died! That is so sad, so much like Lily and James. Of course, I think it would have been sadder had one been left alive and alone. Still, I hadn’t expected that one. I think their deaths get to me more because they were newly married and had a small baby. So very sad for Teddy Lupin.
- FRED: Also another sad loss and one I saw coming. I mean it was either him or George. I really thought she’d get rid of one of the twins, just because they were twins.
- MRS WEASLEY: Gotta love her calling Bellatrix a bitch. Who would have thought she had it in her.
- DRACO: Seems like Draco gave Harry a little respect in the end. How could he not? Not only did he kill Voldemort but he saved Draco more than once and ensured his families safety.
- VICTORIE: Victorie sounds and looks French and James says she is their cousin which to me would imply she is Bill and Fleur’s daughter.
- HORCRUXES: Who would have thought Harry would be one himself? Interesting. So there was 7 instead of 6 (the 7th/8th would be Voldemort). Tom Riddle’s Diary, Gaunt’s Ring, Slytherin’s Locket, Hufflepuff’s Goblet, Ravenclaw’s Diadem, and of course Nagini. And then without knowing it Voldemort made Harry a Horcrux. I liked how that worked. Also kept Harry safe and explains all the weird wand issues Voldemort was having.
Dumbledore’s wand, The Elder Wand, was taken by force from Grindelwald. How is this possible when the Elder Wand is unbeatable? After talking to Ollivander Harry thinks Dumbledore won it in the duel with Grindelwald. In the Chapter King’s Crossing Dumbledore confides that Grindelwald was scared of Dumbledore. Was it his fear that made him lose? Did the wand choose Dumbledore sensing his greatness and therefore rejecting Grindelwald? This is confusing because the ways of the wand seem very mysterious and complicated.
I have never been a fan of Snape but I admit that his story was sad and touching. Loving Lily so much that is Patronus was a Doe which was also Lily’s Patronus. I did like that Harry’s son was named Albus Severus eve if it doesn’t roll off the tongue. Have to wonder how Snape would feel about it thought?
THE END: I see why people weren’t fond of the end. A bit cliché with the happily ever after scenario but really I think it ended right. Voldemort couldn’t triumph. What kind of message would that send? I liked the Epilogue. Life is normal. Ginny and Harry are married with children as are Ron and Hermione. That is what was supposed to happen even if it meant Dobby, Tonks, Lupin and FRED dying!
My sister and I have been discussing the sword that came to Neville in the end because Griphook had taken it. We figured that Griphook’s notion that he or another Goblin owned the sword was inaccurate Godric Gryffindor didn’t steal it based on the fact that Neville was able to pull it out of the sorting hat. Godric had to be the true owner for the sword to return to the hat which belonged to all four house founders. Dumbledore does say in book 2 that Only a true Gryffindor can pull it out of the hat and I think Neville displays that he is a true (and very brave) Gryffindor.
I apologize for any spelling errors as I’m not good at remembering those details.
Books in Series
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows