Yields 2 loaves
I do buy cranberries, usually to make the cranberry salsa or dip but then I stumbled upon a Cranberry Christmas cake which probably means I'll need more cranberries on my shopping list every year.
But what I really like about this recipe, whether you are making it for yourself or to give away, it makes 2 loaves so you can keep one and give one as a gift or both if this is the second batch and there is just none left of the first.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups cranberries, roughly chopped (fresh or dried)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
powdered sugar, garnish
- Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease 2 loaf pans.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking soda and salt, and set aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until lightened in color and fluffy. 4-5 minutes.
- Beat in egg and vanilla extract and mix well.
- Alternate between adding 1/3 cup of dry ingredients and 1-2 tablespoons buttermilk. Begin and end with flour mixture.
- Gently fold in chopped cranberries and pour batter into loaf pans.
- Place in oven and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool, then sift powdered sugar on top and enjoy!
Okay so as an added touch I mixed some dried orange peel just to give a little something extra. You can do that or just leave it as is. Either way will work.
These are lovely as gifts especially if you wrap them in that red cellophane stuff; however, I didn't think of that until last minute so I couldn't find any.
Days Til Christmas: 6