So good only the pro pic looks better (below)! So with the holidays in full swing, life is busy for a lot of us so a quick meal is ideal. I love 30 minute or 20 minute meals so here is one I saved a while back and finally got to try!
4 small chicken breasts, thawed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon minced garlic
½ cup chopped onions
1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
½ teaspoon EACH Italian seasoning AND red pepper flakes (see notes)
¼ teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato pesto (homemade or store-bought) (see notes)
salt and pepper + ¼ cup water
4 slices mozzarella cheese (or 1 cup shredded)
- CHICKEN: Sprinkle the chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat with the olive oil.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for about 3-5 minutes per side or until the chicken is completely cooked through, remove to a plate.
- If you are planning on serving this with pasta, get the water going and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- TOMATO SAUCE: Preheat the oven on the broiler setting.
- Add the onions to the oil remaining in the pan. If there isn't any, add in about ½ teaspoon and sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes until the soften, add the garlic and let cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, dried basil, and pesto and stir to combine.
- When the sauce reaches a simmer, add a ¼ cup of water, lower the heat, cover and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- ASSEMBLE: Nestle the chicken breasts into the sauce and using a spoon, cover the chicken with sauce. (You might have to put it in a ove safe pan or dish.)
- Top each breast with a slice of cheese.
- Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese gets nice and bubbly and just melts.
- Top with chopped parsley or basil ribbons.
- Serve with pasta or crusty bread and a salad.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I did. Of course, I only had the spaghetti noodles and it looks better on the fettuccine....
Days Til Christmas: 22