I'm also making this today. I haven't made it yet but I've made it many times. My sister discovered it last year and it is so good and easier than a homemade pumpkin pie.
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin puree
1 (12 fluid oz) can evaporated milk
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice (see below instructions)
1 teaspoon salt
1 (18.25 oz) yellow cake mix
1 cup chopped pecans (walnuts or almonds work too)
1 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Lightly grease one 9x13 inch baking pan.
- In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, evaporated milk, eggs, sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt.
- Mix well, and spread into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle cake mix over the top of the pumpkin mixture, and pat down.
- Sprinkle chopped nuts evenly over the cake mix, then drizzle with melted margarine.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. At this point, check your cake. If the top is becoming to brown, cover the cake with a piece of foil for the remaining baking time.
- Continue baking an additional 10-20 minutes or until set.
- We've mainly just cut it right out of the pan like the above image but you can put a cake plate or serving dish on top and turn the cake over so the cake ends up on the plate. This gives it an upside down look which is fun.
- You can also serve it with whipped cream if you desire.
3 tablespoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1 ½ teaspoons ground allspice and 1 ½ teaspoons ground cloves.
Mix the spices together in a small bowl and take a little whiff. But here is the thing. I don't do the allspice or the clove as too me it is just as good.
What are you thankful for today?